DUE 9/10/2017 11A.M EST
3 PAGES APA FORMAT NOT INCLUDING TITLE AND 3 MIN REFERENCE PAGE
Great leadership is often obvious in hindsight, when history reveals the end of a particular event or story. Predicting the types of leaders needed to take public health into the future, however, remains elusive. Many theories and types of leadership abound, from situational to adaptive to transformational and beyond. As a future public health professional, it is important to grasp these frameworks, but within these are leadership competencies that are constantly evolving and shifting as the landscape of public health shifts.
Developing into an effective leader is a lifelong process. Shi and Johnson liken it to the Native American symbol of the ever-ascending spiral (2014) with upward progress based on goals. The critical need for leadership training has long been noted. Yet, any training must begin with a baseline of self-awareness of leadership competencies an individual possesses as well as a plan for developing those competencies still needed to effectively lead. But with any journey toward a goal, one must have a clear destination in mind. The National Public Health Leadership Network has developed the “Public Health Leadership Competency Framework,” which provides a good starting point for gaining self-awareness.
For this week’s Assignment, review the Learning Resources. Complete one of the assessments (e.g., Turning Point Assessment) of your leadership style and competencies. Use the results from the assessment as a starting point for developing your leadership development plan.
The Assignment (3 pages
Complete a leadership development plan that includes the following:
Using the “Public Health Leadership Competency Framework,” developed by the National Public Health Leadership Network as a guide (refer to the article posted in the weekly Resources), describe a leadership plan to develop the following over the next 3–5 years. Include the following:
· Your core transformational competencies (visionary leadership, sense of mission, effective change agent)
· Political competencies (political processes, negotiation, ethics and power, marketing and education)
· Organizational competencies
· Team-building competencies
· Personality factors
· Crisis abilities
Justify your rationale for your selections.
Version 2005 1
PUBLIC HEALTH LEADERSHIP COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK DEVELOPED BY
NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT NETWORK
I. CORE TRANSFORMATIONAL COMPETENCIES
A. VISIONARY LEADERSHIP 1. Articulates future scenarios in terms of alternatives for change 2. Develops and articulate vision 3. Encourages and facilitates others to share the vision 4. Applies innovative concepts and methods into strategic decision making process
B. SENSE OF MISSION
1. Identifies, articulate and model professional values, beliefs and ethics 2. Facilitates mission development 3. Identifies and articulates the content, purpose and value of vision and mission
statements 4. Facilitates reassessment and adaptation of mission to vision 5. Communicates effectively to translate understanding of mission and vision into
C. EFFECTIVE CHANGE AGENT
1. Develops creative capacities to optimize learning, critical thinking and analysis skills 2. Models active learning and personal mastery 3. Models and facilitates integration of cultural sensitivity and competence 4. Facilitates utilization and application of systems thinking 5. Articulates the difference between transforming changes affecting general
direction/policies and changes affecting day to day implementation and operations 6. Develops and implements evaluation systems in relation to change strategies 7. Identifies, creates and balances critical dynamic tension in relation to change
strategies 8. Facilitates application of change theories and concepts to practical situations 9. Facilitates and creates dialogue 10. Builds organizational capacity to envision and select strategies to address acute
problems 11. Facilitates strategic and tactical assessment and planning 12. Recognizes and reconciles emotional and rational elements in collaboration building
and strategic planning 13. Determines and models when and how to include risk taking in strategic actions 14. Facilitates empowerment of others to take action
Version 2005 2
II. POLITICAL COMPETENCIES*
A. POLITICAL PROCESSES 1. Directs, facilitates, and refines mission driven strategic planning processes at policy,
management and operational levels 2. Identifies and communicates political processes and variables operating at federal,
state and local levels 3. Evaluates and determines appropriate actions regarding critical political issues 4. Identifies and analyzes policy issues and alternatives related to selected public
health problems 5. Develops, implements, and evaluates advocacy, community education and social
marketing strategies to achieve national, state and local health goals and objectives 6. Utilizes principles of media advocacy to communicate the public health mission,
values, objectives, and priorities to target audiences, including executive and legislative bodies, community organizations and stakeholders to facilitate public policy change
7. Assesses existing political resources to address the needs of diverse and underserved communities
8. Develops and implements collaborative strategies, such as coalitions advocacy groups, to involve all constituencies and stakeholders
9. Selects and implements models to guide political action regarding infrastructure development and other capacity-building efforts
10. Cooperates and collaborates with efforts to translate community and organizational analyses and plans into specific regulatory actions and legislative proposals
11. Guides the community and organization in assisting and supporting legislative deliberation and action on public health issues
12. Translates policy decisions into organizational and community structure, programs and services
B. NEGOTIATION AND MEDIATION 1. Identifies escalating public health issues and guide or mediate action to avoid crises
levels 2. Guides and mediates the investigation and resolution of acute public health crises 3. Identifies key stakeholders and resources necessary for mediating, negotiating
and/or collective bargaining with political sectors, political action committees and/or stakeholders
* University of North Carolina School of Public Health Doctoral Program Leadership Competencies were used as a resource for this section.
C. ETHICS AND POWER 1. Identifies, develops, and utilizes power-based alliances with values-based and
Version 2005 3
ethical perspectives 2. Identifies and communicates how power structures function utilizing knowledge of
transitional and conditional ethics
D. MARKETING AND EDUCATION 1. Utilizes principles of social marketing and health education to communicate
routinely with target audiences regarding public health needs, objectives, accomplishments and critical or crises related information
III. TRANSORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES
A. ORGANIZATIONAL CAPACITY AND DYNAMICS 1. Creates and employs assessment models to assess organizational environment,
needs, assets, resources and opportunities with respect to mission and policy development and assurance functions
2. Identifies and communicates new system structures as need is identified and opportunity arises
3. Develops system structures utilizing knowledge of organizational learning, development, behavior and culture
B. TRANS-ORGANIZATIONAL CAPACITY AND COLLABORATION 1. Identifies and includes key players, power brokers and stakeholders in collaborative
ventures 2. Develops, implements and evaluates collaborative and partnering strategies,
including task force, coalition, and consortium development 3. Facilitates networking and participation of all stakeholders including broad and
diverse representation of private/public and traditional/nontraditional community organizations
4. Facilitates identification of shared or complementary mission and creation of common vision
5. Creates trans-organizational systems utilizing a common values based approach with ethical standards
6. Develops and evaluates collaborative strategic action plans 7. Facilitates change through a balance of critical tensions within collaborative
C. SOCIAL FORECASTING AND MARKETING 1. Identifies and interprets emerging trends 2. Creates predictions and build scenarios 3. Communicates predictions and scenarios and provide information analysis and
interpretation to community partners and constituents 4. Utilizes social marketing techniques within collaborative systems. e.g., media,
health and risk communications and community relations
Version 2005 4
IV. TEAM BUILDING COMPETENCIES
A. TEAM STRUCTURES AND SYSTEMS 1. Assesses organizational infrastructure and implement system changes to facilitate
team development 2. Facilitates entrepreneurial spirit within team structures 3. Develops team structures and required systems regarding customer service and
continuous quality improvement 4. Facilitates outcomes-based team activities related to strategic planning and
evaluation objectives 5. Create systems including structures and resources for team and work group
evaluation 6. Facilitates the development of learning teams which promote organizational
learning from a systems perspective
B. TEAM DEVELOPMENT 1. Facilitates development of shared mission, vision, and value statements 2. Facilitates development of clear goals and objectives 3. Facilitates group process 4. Creates and implements information and communication processes to facilitate
team development 5. Facilitates development and utilization of problem solving, conflict resolution and
decision making skills 6. Identifies and communicates need to balance critical tensions for team development 7. Facilitates empowerment and motivation to accomplish objectives 8. Creates incentives and rewards and celebrate accomplishments 9. Facilitates development and integration of cultural sensitivity and competence 10. Facilitates development of risk taking behavior 11. Facilitates development of servant leadership capacity including selflessness,
integrity and perspective mastery 12. Develops opportunities and resources for personal mastery and team learning
C. FACILITATION AND MEDIATION 1. Diagnoses and intervenes in marginally productive, dissident or demoralized team
situations 2. Clarifies and establishes team member roles and responsibilities 3. Clarifies and facilitates effective work group processes and relationships 4. Facilitates problem centered coaching 5. Utilizes negotiation skills to mediate disputes and resolve conflicts
D. EFFECTIVE ROLE MODEL 1. Models effective group process behaviors including listening, dialoging, negotiating,
rewarding, encouraging and motivating 2. Models effective team leadership traits including integrity, credibility, enthusiasm,
commitment, honesty, caring, and trust
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25